Monday, July 30, 2012

Review: Flesh Eaters


Flesh Eaters
Flesh Eaters by Joe McKinney

My rating: 5 of 5 stars



Just when I was thinking I was in a rut and getting snobbish over things I read, I picked up Flesh Eaters by Joe McKinney. I’ve enjoyed Joe’s earlier books, and this one does not disappoint. 5 stars.

This is a story about tragedy and how people respond. It did fall short on having a populace of Houston act individually. It begins to explore the theme of individuality as people do whatever they like, despite the effect on the overall community, but too many faceless thousands were meekly going with the flow. Since the scope was on a few main characters, random people freaking out (besides zombies) and horning in on the action would have diluted the story. It’s also due to who the main characters are that the reader knows there are thousands of survivors gathering and queuing up for rescue/evacuation.

The book follows some full-fledged characters that Joe describes well. I may not have liked them, but I had a sense of who they are.

Joe does write zombies graphically, but every page doesn't have zombies. Joe's zombies are actually live people that are infected with a new infectious disease that turns them dumb, cannibal, and immune to feeling injury.




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment