Friday, June 1, 2012

CampNaNoWriMo, June Session begins

CampNaNoWriMo is here, and since I’m still editing The End of the World Sucks, I’ll be writing all sorts of things for word count (NaNoRebel) besides a new novel.  I got some ideas, but I don’t want to be sitting on a new pile of manuscript on June 30th without getting this one completed.  I believe I’ll be writing a new novel in August for the second session of CampNaNoWriMo, and that’ll give me two months till November 1st.  It’ll be a lonely two months because my baby girl is going away to college, and I’ll be left talking to the cats.  I’d talk to the dogs, but they’re only dogs.

During this past week, I did have baby girl (she scored higher than me on SAT verbal) look over my manuscript because I paid for her car’s oil change. Yes, I know, it’s torture, but she could have bought her way out of it.

I’m waiting on money again (my life story?  I’m owed a good chunk of change and can’t pay my bills) so I can get a pro copyedit for a reasonable rate - I’ll have to audition someone on a short section first because stylistically, I’m not universally loved.   If writing fiction was like a spreadsheet, I’d be kicking ass.  Alas, it’s not, so all the (contradictory) expert advice needs to be painted onto my story to make it presentable.  Like my car, the tale’s not black, white or silver/gray.  What’s wrong with people not wanting cars of color?  What’s wrong with people not accepting that not every story follows the same formula, changes the character names, and sticks them in … Asheville, NC.  BTW, one reviewer did object to my use of Asheville.  Real locations = bad fiction.  Well, I like Asheville.  Have you seen photos of those lovely mountains?  I’ve done the drive through Shenandoah National Park and Blue Ridge Parkway in my younger days.

Anyway, I’ve weighed that advice against more than this one book.  I have future plans for causing havoc in New York City - wait, NYC is fiction central, along with romantic London.  How did London steal that title from Paris or the Scottish Highlands? Damn bodice rippers.  Anyway, I think Asheville’s staying. 

After a while, I get tired of searching for things to change based on impressions.  And yes, one reviewer blanketed characters with change all names so are all named something unique so they don’t create impressions.  I did respond that I did choose the name Vanna intentionally. 

Ever see Clueless?  Cher was already taken – and man, can the original Cher keep going and going?  I saw her in concert seven years ago, and The Village People opened for her. That was back in the days when my daughter and I went to shows – she picked Cher.  She also picked Equus for her birthday, and yes, I took my middle-school aged daughter to see Daniel Radcliffe.  We also saw Phantom that same day, but the school-age peers were more impressed that she saw all of D.R. 

No comments:

Post a Comment